Summer is here and it is hot! I can hear the screams of joy by some and the sighs of disgust by others. For many this is the time of year that their electricity bills soar as they run their air conditioner units almost 24/7 in an attempt to keep their Madison homes cool. Unfortunately, as the fuel prices rise so does the electricity costs, making it even more costly to stay cool. Between the oil, gas and electricity expense, many Madison homeowners are feeling a bit pinched financially. I therefore wanted to share some ways to keep your home cooler while saving some money and minimizing your impact on the earth’s atmosphere. (Yeah a chance to be green!)
Some passive cooling techniques for your Madison home:
1. Try to prevent the heat from entering your home. On very sunny days, keep the blinds closed. You can also plant bushes and trees in strategic places so they provide extra shade for your home and direct breezes towards your Madison home and windows.
2. Look into some heat reflective film for your windows where the sun shines the strongest. This will help keep the temperature down in a big way.
3. Keep in mind that the accent pieces on your home should be lighter in color so they will reflect the sun rays. Examples of this are shutters and roof shingles for the next time they need to be replaced.
4. Utilize fans to circulate incoming breezes. This is much less expensive than running an AC. (Also when done in conjunction with an AC for those days that an AC is a must for you, it can minimize the amount of time it has to run.
5. If the heat is really getting you down, just remember you own a home in Madison. Chances are it will be snowing again before you know it!